15 October 2007

The Environment

I hardly ever talk about the environment these days, so people who don't know me probably think I don't care or I don't realise how important it is.

If they'd met me over thirty years ago they'd have seen that I still believed that it was possible to "do something". I was the "pain in the bum" telling people to switch off lights, get rid of their cars, grow food, buy organic or local food, keep chickens, use solar power...

I was then - I still am - passionate about simple living. I think somewhere along the way, we've forgotten than it's really wonderful enjoying what we've been given rather than inventing more and more complicated and expensive ways of finding new highs that more and more people can't share.

I wanted to do a post for Blog Action Day in the hope that some sort of miracle can happen if only we just start behaving ourselves and think about the greedy things we do to to the earth and to each other and talk about what we're going to do.

For me the real issue now is how we humans are going to manage without the cheap energy we got used to during the "oil age" and how we will come to terms with our continuing lack of energy resouces for an infrastructure of production and distribution of goods that we rely so heavily on to live "normal" lives.

In the last few years it's become very fashionable to talk about "saving the planet", but the planet will get by very well indeed without us.

2 comments:

detroit dog said...

I think that your current lifestyle conveys how much you truly do care about the environment. I believe that - here in the U.S. at least - we sometimes forget that cars and home electricity and air conditioning, etc., are actually luxuries (not necessities for most). People tend to take what we are given, we lose sight of useful cultural traditions and after a while we don't know how to take care of ourselves any longer and then rely on Big Business to tell us what's right and wrong. We become addicted to and dependent upon their services; industry thrives. I could go on....

La Ferme de Sourrou said...

...me too Detroit Dog.

Me to...

xxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...