18 November 2007

A jambon keeps well for a year - normally !

Jambon made in January - opened in November 2007

A couple of weeks ago we decided to start the new ham that's been hanging outside since January and it's in perfect condition and much less fatty than any we've done before. We've never managed to keep them from one year to the next - they go fast because the meat is great - but we just might do it with this one.

I was a bit worried about this one keeping well because we had a very damp summer, but we took it down in September, dried it out a bit and rubbed more pepper into the vulnerable areas around the bone and it's in great condition. We'll start it now so that by the time Christmas comes it will be at it's widest and easy to cut in pretty slices.

We've still got some pork chops and some of the fattier pork cuts which I'll use for Saté and making bean stews so I'll have a look in the freezer and make some casseroles from whatever I find there for bottling because now that the cold weather has really set in (It was -8° this morning) we've lit the woodstove.

2 comments:

vic said...

I've just come across your blog and I'm very impressed, envious, want to learn more! I'd love to do some of the things you are doing. EXcellent!

La Ferme de Sourrou said...

Thanks for your comments Vic. :-)

I just wish I had a bit more free time to put more on the blog, but I have to find a balance between doing stuff and talking about what I'm doing and at the moment the doing stuff is winning !!

What's stopping you from getting on with the things you want to do Vic ?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...