8 November 2007

Rutland wind generators and reliability - our experience

Two little windgenerators on the hill at BourrouAt the moment, we've 2 small Rutland 910s wind generators. One is 15 years old. I bought it as a winter back-up to four small solar panels I used when I first went off-grid. The other (A Furlmatic) is 7 years old. They're rated at 75 watts each, but of course when the wind's really blowing they give us more - up to about 250watts.
The first Rutland I bought has been through hell – re-sited three times and damaged twice. The first time was my fault - I dropped the head (It was heavier than I imagined.) and damaged the bit the pales push into. It was easy to fix, but left the unit with a slight rattle. Rutland wind generator in the snow

The second time it was damaged was during a terrible storm in 1999 which destroyed homes and forests all over Europe. The Furlmatic sailed through the storm with no ill effects, but we had twenty four metre roofing sheets stacked and covered and weighted down in front of the generators and the wind was so strong that it whipped them off one by one. Several sheets were forced around the mast of the old 910 and pushed it to the ground. When we went out to see it the next day three of the pales were broken and the head was bent and the back fin was damaged.

We got replacement blades and a new fin from Marlec – delivered in under a week – and we unbent the head and pulled the mast back up with the tractor and the bloomin' thing still gives the same output as before - but rattles even louder !

One of our Rutland 910 windgenerators

For the money (around 700 euros each) and the reliability and availability of spare parts, I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend the Rutland 910 series as a small low cost wind generator - especially as a complement to photovoltaic solar power.

This is an update to this post in the blog. I've just come across a PDF of a Rutland owners manual so HERE's the link.

I’ve been looking for a larger turbine for a few months now. I’d love to be able to have a washing machine here. We’ve 600 watts of solar (450 more coming on Sunday !) but I need at least another 1000 watts to ensure that on a sunny windy day I can get my washing done without leaving the house and still have the luxury of a computer, television and good lighting for the evening.

With "Make your mind up time" looming nearer, (We're going to need lights for working on the inside of the extension this winter and we need to get the cabling done and decide where to site all the material before we go any further on the east terrace outside) I was watching the price of some windchargers on Ebay and the sale of one of them finished around 4pm. At 2.30pm, we had an unexpected visit from a man who stopped off here once - to see our windgenerators - about two years ago.

He's a very shy geeky little man who asked Fabrice technical questions that I answered and undaunted, he kept up the conversation on that basis. His general manner takes a little getting used, to but we stated talking about his system and I showed him and explained the working of ours and little by little he and I started making contact.

With electricity, Fabrice leaves all the design and technical stuff to me, but he'll help me wiring and lifting which is all that a girl can ask for really. It's very exciting having someone who lives nearby like this man, he knows about the things I know about and want to learn more about, that I've never, ever talked to anyone else about in person.

He suddenly stood up to leave and asked if he could take our old 600 watt inverter away that I'd mentioned earlier, adding that he might be able to fix it. Now, I'm desperate to see his workshop and learn more about fixing and making generators, it would be great not to have to worry about getting spare parts.

I smelt serendipity and this felt like an omen. He left just minutes before the Ebay sale ended, so I got on line quickly and bought the 2000 watt windgenerator and it's coming with the panels on Sunday - if all my plans work out OK.

I'm very excited - Fabrice is even showing signs of anticipation, but there's still a lot of work to do digging trenches, wiring, putting the panels and generator up and humphing around batteries, controllers and making things to keep things in etc. before we'll be able to try it out.

I've spent about six months researching which generator to buy and how to buy it (There are grants in France for Renewable energy projects). I'd like to share that information with other people thinking of doing the same thing, but I'll have to do some work on getting it all together before it's a presentable post in the blog...

I do miss having a secretary.

9 comments:

Mousie/Paisible said...

i remember watching rows of such wind generators in Denmark...that was very impressive...you are so right to use such energy ...

La Ferme de Sourrou said...

Mousie, I can't really understand why more people don't use renewable energy. I've been trying to convert people for years, but something stops them from just getting on with it - yet they know it makes sense.

People think nothing of buying a new car, or going on an expensive holiday when they could use that money to build a good system which would allow them to be independent and free from energy bills.

Plus the other benefits... ;-)

softinthehead said...

Hello - great to have found you by way of Breezy, we are commencing a reno project in the Limousin and hoping to be a green as possible (well as possible for us), and I can see you are going to be a great source of info. I look forward to going back over your blogs for tips. Keep up the good work. Very inspiring.

1stuart said...

Thank you for your reply. i would be interested to know what grants there sre available for the erection of a wind turbine

La Ferme de Sourrou said...

Stuart,

In France you can recover half of the cost of the turbine and some of the installation cost by way of a "crédit d'impôt". Even if you don't pay tax, you declare the purchase in your tax form and providing the energy is for your principal resdence you'll be sent a cheque about six months later.

Beware though !! Companies who install trubines usually charge a small fortune in the knowledge that their products are sold at "half price".

steve said...

Hi,

I tried your link for the Rutland manual, but it does not work, do you have a fresh link please?

Thanks

Steve

http://www.sunandwindy.bitz.me.uk

La Ferme de Sourrou said...

Steve,

I've just renewed the link - this one should work now !

Irene

Nikki said...

We should provide a guide of small wind turbines. This will help more people to use small wind turbines.
wind generator

Blogger said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...