31 March 2008

Gardening starts at long last

It's been raining here almost non-stop for weeks but we had hailstones, lightening, rain and two sunny spells today. Spaces between showers are getting longer and warmer and I've been out and about clearing up unending brambles and planting out lots of cuttings I took last year.

Potager or Vegetable garden in early springThe earth where I've been mulching is fantastic, the chickens have kept everything (except the brambles!) pristine. This is the only time of the year when I have bare earth and I must say I appreciate why some people prefer this sort of "tidy" garden because it is so satisfying seeing that rich dark dirt.

The vegetable plot is ready for planting out with not a weed in sight but it's soggy in parts and the peas I put in about ten days ago were doomed from the start when Didi dug a hole in two rows, the chickens (or Didi) managed to move the wooden grill I'd placed over them to protect them and I've just checked them again and they're rotting.

I've divide up a few Globe Artichokes and replanted them in front of a dark hedge and next year (or maybe this year if I'm lucky!) I'll leave the flower heads which are too beautiful to miss just because they taste good in bud.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how the the back bank under the pergola looks in a few weeks. I've been cleaning it up and planting out cuttings and it's filling out nicely. I love taking photographs of the progress of bits of the garden, here's a slideshow of the bank. You can change the speed by moving your mouse over the top of the frame :



We've been using up the excess mortar Fabrice is using for the extension to add a bit more stone to the second back terrace and the little retaining walls are getting bigger every day. Fabrice and I both have this terrible habit of doing a hundred things at once and although we (mostly me!) moan and groan that nothing ever gets finished it's good fun to do and it does look lovely.

I'll take some photographs tomorrow and let you see how things are going in the garden.

5 comments:

detroit dog said...

That is some interesting weather you have had today.

Tomorrow, I'm going to buy seeds and start them inside (should have done weeks ago). Can't really plant anything here until sometime in May. It''s been so wet here this winter that it's literally a swamp outside. My elderberry bushes and some other plants appear to have drowned to death.

I look forward to seeing your photos, and follow your gardening.

Riana Lagarde said...

I really love the atrium (is that right word?) that you built out of wood with the climbing vines. It is so fun to get out into the garden, bring on spring!

detroit dog said...

Hi Irene,

I heard a song today that made me think of your blog! It is The Waters of March, by Jobim. If you do a search on YouTube, you will find a beautiful version by his son Daniel, and another by Basia (though with a funky video of some guy that set it to her singing).

Have a good one!

Amy, of Playing in the Dirt said...

It's all so lovely...We are a couple of weeks away from planting anything outside. Our snow is barely melted and everything is sopping wet.

Enjoy!

mrsnesbitt said...

Our garden tidy up time is upon us...spring cleaning inside and out!

Spring is in the Air!

Dxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...