21 June 2008

Summer Jasmine, Max and the Hummingbird Hawk-moth

Max never normally sits here, but at the moment the perfume from this Star Jasmine is wonderful and he's taken to just plonking himself down until I finish filling up the feeders and generally fussing around the chicken shed making sure everything is as it should be.

I wonder if he appreciates the perfume - or is that just me being daft ?

Hummingbird Hawk-moth moro sphinx ou sphinx colibri in France (Macroglossum stellatarum)When I was filling up the water containers, I heard an angry buzzing sound and looked down to see a Hummingbird Hawk-moth moro sphinx ou sphinx colibri in France (Macroglossum stellatarum) with it's proboscis stuck in one of the Jasmine flowers.

I had my camera with me and hoped I might get a good photograph - but once again - I failed to get anything resembling those fantastic shots on the web. Still, if I did have a camera which was capable of a good shot of this fast-moving little thing, I wouldn't have it slung round my neck when I was cleaning up the chicken shed - would I ?


Anyway, I shot this fuzzy, buzzy little video just before he left...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Never seen anything like that. Not such a bad shot after all.
Sietske

Eco-Gites of Lenault said...

I've only ever seen hummingbird hawkmoths whilst holidaying in France but never that close - so I'm hoping to get to see more now that we are living here. Did see 2 stag beetles today though.

detroit dog said...

Very cool.
I'm always impressed by your knowledge of scientific names for nature!

La Ferme de Sourrou said...

Sietske,I really like that little video - especially with the speakers on full. :-)

Eco-gites of lenault, We had some tonight on the terrace dive bombing - brilliant.

Detroit dog, I don't know anything - I just look it up on the 'net !!!

That helps me to learn - but I always forget the names the next day. :-)

Ancel said...

with all this rain you might be looking for something to do indoors, you've been tagged:

http://ancel-puravida.blogspot.com

Annie said...

Wow! That is so intense! We have to watch it over and over!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...