3 June 2008

Very hazy photo with a great storm and yet more rain

This is the wettest Spring we've experienced here in south west France. Almost all the seeds I've planted have rotted - even some of the potatoes I planted a few weeks ago have rotted under water. This is how the ground looks in part of the plot.

We've had a stream running through this part of the garden for about six weeks and although yesterday and today have been dry, the earth is still cold and damp and difficult to work with and all I can do is wait until it dries out a bit before move my seedlings into their permanent homes. The tomatoes I planted about three weeks ago still look exactly the same as when I planted them ! Raspberries enjoy a good soak before fruiting, but these have been under water for about two weeks and

need a bit of sun to fruit well. I've tasted a few and they're insipid and full of water. I hope the sun comes out soon or our veg plot next to the house won't produce much veg for the summer at this rate!

Fortunately, we've another garden on a slight slope down in the valley where our potatoes are doing well and where we'll plant our winter veg soon out of the way of the chickens.

8 comments:

Iwanttocomeback asmycat said...

That is a very beautiful photograph.
Thank you.

Seagrass said...

wow, that's a gorgeous photo, you could frame it! I love your little patio dining set, so romantic...

MrsL said...

That's a beautiful photo there!

Val Grainger said...

I feel for you with all that rain...been the same here and only stuff in the poly tunnel and my willows are really happy! We had this last year too and we lost all our potatoes and tomatoes....:-(
Lets hope for better weather all round...I'm ever optimistic!

The Unusually Unusual Farmchick said...

I guess you could always look at it as -what if there were no rain and the grounds too dry? Trying to see positive in the situation :)
Lovely picture...As always

dee said...

Im having the same problem here.My first lot of squash and mini pumpkins died.The second lot dont seem healthy either. :(

HP Laptop Parts said...

Very beautiful, honestly. I can relate to what you do, at least somewhat haha. I love all things that grow so that's why I try as hard I can to help revive this planet in the most efficient way that I can possible. You never know when one day you'll wake up and really smell the smog from your kitchen window or living room. Family to me is really most important, and with people like us trying to at least help the planet even just a bit, will most definitely help one like myself sleep better at night knowing that my family's next day waking up feels a bit safer :)

La Ferme de Sourrou said...

Thanks for your comment HP!

I lobve plants too, but you know that already!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...