12 August 2008

Permaculture in France

In the 80s I discovered Permaculture magazine and I was impressed by how relevant and practical its articles were to my way of thinking so I went on an introductory course and what I learned has influenced me ever since.

In France I've met very few people who have heard of Permaculture. The way we plan our resource consumption, landscape around our house and tend our gardens is just common sense but it's a multi-faceted combination of ideas about everything to do with energy management and difficult to explain quickly to our hundreds of casual visitors without giving them a "label" which they can use to find out more.

"Permaculture" is the best label that I can think of, so I'd like to help spread the concept of Permaculture in France and I've been making contacts (mostly through the French site Brin de Paille run by Pascal Depienne) and finding out more about the Permaculture network here. So far, the movement is in its infancy and there's still a lot of work to be done encouraging people to join the forums, (48 members so far!) exchanging ideas and experience and translating manuals and other documents into French.

Anyone who would like to find out more about Permaculture in France can find more information in THIS link

The Permaculture movement has done a great job of presenting good ideas into courses which are standardised and can be taught all over the world and I need a review of my existing skills, a chance to meet a few new Permaculture people and a bit of time away from the farm.

So, later this week I shall be leaving my garden, goats, sheep, building work and Fabrice behind and indulging myself by doing the 10 day residential, certified Permaculture Design Course led by Steve Read at The Dharma house.

See you when I get back !

6 comments:

detroit dog said...

Wow! Sounds fun and interesting, and I look forward to reading more about it when you return. Of course, I'm sure you'll take pictures.

:-)

BTW, I am glad to read your post below about the turbines. We just had a short trip through Canada a couple of weeks ago and saw lots of the turbines along the coast of Lake Huron; we were wondering how they go up.

Regards,

Val Grainger said...

Enjoy yourself!! Steve Read comes highly reccommended!
If you ever want to put on a design course and need a fellow teacher I have my design course too and am also a trained trainer of permaculture for my sins!!!!

A Life Less Simple said...

Just wanted to say I think your site is lovely, I've just found it and am looking forward to when you return so as I can read more

Thru Pink Curtains said...

Love the pictures and homesteading values you have. What a great place to live when the economy is so weird here - little bit of heaven you have thanks for posting your pics.....

Jef said...

J'aime beaucoup ce que vous faites. ça donne presque envie de prendre mon vélo et de fair eun petit tour en dordogne par chez vous, au printemps prochain....

La Ferme de Sourrou said...

Thru pink curtains, thank you my dear!

Jef,

Merci...printemps prochaine alors....:-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...