26 September 2008

Ready for the chop


Ready for the chop, originally uploaded by hardworkinghippy.

At this time of the year I pick my vegetables quickly because they rot easily later in the season and get them eaten or chopped up and cooked as quickly as possible. Now's the time to get everything ready for winter so these vegetables were sterilised to conserve them.

I made five .35 litre and two .75 litre jars from 8 kilos of veg. I reduced the sauce a lot to thicken it, (That way I use fewer jars and there's no point in storing water!) then when I open each jar I rinse it out with some water and add that to the sauce.

The smaller jars are enough for two people and make a quick meal poured on to pasta and sprinkled with cheese or used as a sauce to complement a small amount of left-over meat. The nice thing about having loads of these jars in stock in your cellar is you know they'll taste great, you can feed a lot of people quickly without too much stress and to prepare a good meal all you need to do is heat everything up - this is the nearest we'll ever get to a take-away.

I've posted a lot about conserving food in this way, if you click on the "storing food" link below, you'll see other posts where the process is described in detail.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...