22 October 2008

Experiments with LEDs to get ...l'ambiance parfaite ...

We're sorting out loads of things at the moment. The style of the roof and the heating for the extension, our lighting for winter and designing the electricity runs for the extension.

I went on a bit of a spending spree a couple of weeks ago and amongst other things, I bought several 9 and 5 watt 12v compact fluo lightbulbs and these 36 LED units (In the photo above.) which consume under 2watts each. I know I go a bit about lighting but it's nice to have a lovely warm cosy atmosphere in a house, and good lighting can help a lot.

I bought them from a supplier I've found reliable with good prices and fast service, Energie Douce. I'm a bit disappointed with the blue/white colour of the new LEDs but a red or pink shade over the light will it warm up. I often put a bit of red nail varnish on to LEDs (Which stay quite cool normally) but only for outside the house. I wonder if I should take a chance and try some out on the inside ?

There's not a lot of useful light either and I expected that with LEDs, but I'm still experimenting with how I can use them for background lighting.
I've got a few lovely paintings and interesting corners (Like this one with my "magic egg" collection.) which just disappear once we switch on the main lights in the kitchen. It's a big room, 7x6 metres but feels small and needs more light to open it up.

We do use candles a lot and I love them but we don't like going out for a wander outside in the evening leaving the candles on because our two cats love sitting in window sills and they've singed their tails and knocked over quite a few things on their travels.

Candles also need to be bought and stored and you need to spend time every so often cleaning the holders. I "rewick" them with a tiny bit of cotton wool twisted and pushed into the wax in the holder with a knife then I dribble some wax from a candle on to the little wick, light it and it burns away all the accumulated wax around the edges. Once there's a nice dip, I enthusiastically push in a new candle and often end up squirting the wax on to my computer screen...

11 comments:

Non, Je ne regrette rien said...

hi there, sorry my comment isn't about lighting ... but you were mentioned on another blog I read as someone who might know about CSA deliveries in France. I'm in the Dordogne and searching ...

La Ferme de Sourrou said...

Hi there,

Here's the web site of the AMAP, you should find your nearest branch in here:

http://www.amap-aquitaine.org/

Irene

gWen said...

Nice blog and light :)

WENDY BANDURSKI-MILLER (nee Callard) said...

looks dramatic! but i see what you mean about led's the amount of light can be challenging.....

check out this blog.... i think you might like her art her name is pamela.....

http://paturner.blogspot.com/2008/10/great-robbery.html

Small Footprints said...

Fabulous blog ... great information and your pictures are wonderful.

One of the things that I believe makes your blog different is that you talk about how various "green living" techniques work .. in the real world.

If you don't mind, I'll be following you as well as adding you to my blog roll.

Thank you for the great information!

Small Footprints
http://reducefootprints.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Hi, I bought some leds from Leroy Merlin that work great. White light not blue I also have some 12v 10 WATT leds that work really good if you would like a few I can send you some Im about 30 min south of Paris Off Grid myself.

Michelle said...

Hi
just wondering does putting the nail varnish over the lights not smell??? Or do they not heat up enough to give off fumes??
love your blog and photos.

detroit dog said...

Hi Irene,

Just stopping by to wish you a Merry Christmas.

So Merry Christmas!

I hope all is well with you and yours.

-- V.

WENDY BANDURSKI-MILLER said...

Irene! where thou? I am missing your posts and just a little concerned you have not posted here for a while.....unlike you....Just wanted to wish you and Fabrice an AMAZING warm happy Christmas....lots of love from us here in the Fingerlakes......xoxox

La Ferme de Sourrou said...

Hi Wendy, we're fine but we've not had an internet connection for ages.

Hi Detroit Dog, I hope you had a lovely time too!

Michelle, I've checked the bulbs and there's hardly any heat off them and the nail varnish is still intact. :-)

gWen, lovely to hear from you and thanks for the comments.

Michelle, thanks to you too, I'll have a look at your blog in a minute.

Anonymous, thanks for the offer - nice to meet another off-gridder on the "net!

Kevin said...

I've recently seen some led's where one may change the colour - either manually or automatically - Castorama, if I remember correctly.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...