13 October 2008

Off grid computing

Happy solar batteriesOne of the reasons I haven't been blogging much recently is that my six year old laptop has only a few hundred Mo of RAM so it runs out of memory whenever I try to do anything complicated.

Often, I just give up waiting for action and go and get on with something else - not a bad thing really. ;-)

I did buy a bit more memory (The maximum for my machine.) and took my computer apart to plug it in. (Scary stuff!)

That did do the trick for a few weeks but when I'm in forums, answering e-mails and trying to research something amazing that a friend's just told me about, all it needs is for me to visit one site with a bit of background music or a video and everything comes to a standstill.

I like being able to make do and mend but with computers there's only so far I can DIY, so I've bought a brand new laptop with lots more memory and I'm looking forward to getting to know it better once I get all the electrics and the internet connection sorted out.

People often ask us how we manage our internet connection living off-grid. I cleaned up and emptied out my laptop a few days ago (To let me get on the 'net to buy another one!) and the connection seems to be quite stable, so I thought I'd take this opportunity to write about how we manage our solar and wind energy to have off-grid computing.

Frog on a solar panelAt the moment, we have a very modest 12v renewable energy system which runs on eight 75watt photovoltaic panels and two 75watt Rutland wind generators.

We've bought the panels and wind turbines in stages and decided to keep two separate systems - each one is capable of lighting the whole house, recharge batteries, run small appliances and allows us to get on the internet. Having two systems means that when we can carry out our battery maintenance or add more panels to one system we're never without power. If one system is out of energy we can swop over and at least I'm always sure of being able to send e-mails or recharge torch batteries. I'm pleased to say that neither of the systems of our alternative technology has ever let us down.

DC Converter (12v to 19v) for laptop computer run by solar power 29€
My old laptop needs 19v of direct current (DC) and when laptops run off the mains power they need a transformer to change the alternative current to DC. So instead of using an inverter to change DC to AC to DC, I bought some cheap and cheerful DC current converters like the one in the photograph above for about 29€. This little gadget allows me to step up the DC voltage needed by my laptop and means that I don't waste the precious (especially in the winter!) energy taken up by an inverter while it's switched on. This one has been working well (Despite the dust!) for about three years.

My new computer - like many of the bigger machines on the market - needs more power than the 70watt maximum allowed by the small unit above, so I've been looking for another one. I ordered a unit from Nauticom and it should arrive soon.

300watt inverter runs printer external hard disk etc.I also run my modem from a DC-DC converter but for the other appliances like my external hard disc and my printer (Which I rarely use.) I need an inverter which changes 12v DC to 230 AC. This one cost around 150€.

It's best to use the smallest inverter you can to run equipment because the inverter itself uses a lot of energy, so I opted for a little 300watt one which doesn't take up much room on my desk. I use it with a three plug adaptor so that I can plug in several things at the same time and it too has been working perfectly for a few years. The only thing that drives me mad is all the wires everywhere but I suppose if I want to charge cameras mobile 'phones, batteries and get on the 'net, that's something I'll just have to live with.

I'm really looking forward to getting everything sorted out and finally using my new computer. I wanted to post a photo of the beast, but I don't want to take any chances...;-)

6 comments:

Sage WhiteOwl said...

From Oregon
So glad to have you back...you were missed! Thank you for taking the time to blog, I really enjoy it!

WENDY BANDURSKI-MILLER (nee Callard) said...

well look at you! Oh my you are not going to know yourself...pages will load pretty well........

i think it is sooo exciting... i admit one of the things that i look forward to each day after doing the hard work around the land and home is time to share my pictures and thoughts with people I connect with online! It is important part of my sense of community...! So i found it really interesting on the nuts and bolts of how you did this! Looking forward to seeing what you get up to next...wires drive me crazy too.... i have to admit.. but i have to do the camera thing too....so its unavoidable really.

cristele said...

Bonjour!

I didn’t find any contact email so I'm leaving a comment instead. Please feel free to delete it as it's more a request than a comment…
I find your blog very interesting! Maybe you would be interested in posting your blogs on my website, http://www.altglobe.com. This is a vibrant online community talking about what's in the World in terms of green, sustainability, spirituality, and all round awakening that goes well together.

The idea is to help you in spreading your word by extending your community.

We feel there are lots of individuals interested in issues for the coming year- both for individual and community challenges. Our goal is to help everyone being able to access information on how they can achieve these changes. I think your posts would be a tremendous contribution to that goal.

All you need to do is create a profile and copy or create your blogs

Please check out my website and our current bloggers! They are all on the home page!
(Note you cannot have access to any profile until you are registered, but you can see all the articles).

Please let me know how it sounds to you, & I hope to hear from you soon…

Please note that next week we have our second Bloggers Contest! Bloggers can win wonderful experiences and / or gifts generously given by our members! Of course this community is free.

Je suis francaise aussi, j'habite a cote de San Francisco...merci de vos postes en anglais et en France, c'est rare a trouver et tellement agreable a lire!
Cristele AT Altglobe dot com

Anne A said...

I only found your blog last week and sat up all night reading it, what a fabulous lifestyle you have built for yourselves, I thank you for showing me possibilities, and for your gentle care of one part of our fragile planet.
looking forward to reading and learning from your important blog

Val Grainger said...

We are thinking of going off grid.....so this type of info is very valuable!
There are precious few sites that simply tell you what you really need to know such as 'if we go off grid and have such and such a system can we have the lights on AND 2 laptops' etc!!!

IBM Lenovo Laptop Battery said...

This is verrry nice! I am not only going to tell you what you want to hear, but I am also going to tell you the truth! This honestly is really beautiful. To some people even the smallest things can mean the most to them. Sometimes they also say one mans trash is another mans treasure, funny how that works. But this right here, is most definitely a piece of treasure that should be kept in a safe place so it doesn't end up in the trash. But no worries, even if it does end up in the trash, it will Most Definitely be another persons treasure because anyone and everyone can find all kinds of their own definition of beauty in here :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...