20 October 2008

Unbelievable colours of Autumn


The colour in the garden and in the woods around our fields is a real joy to behold at the moment. The main colour is from Virginia creeper which can spread where you don't want it but when it's in the trees and on the gloriette and the pergolas, it's glorious.

I planted a Red Oak near the chicken shed three years ago. It's never done well and I thought it was because of the nitrogen rich soil. We had to cut down a nearby Acacia because it was split in a storm and since that's gone the Oak has really recovered and has now become a beautiful young tree which we can see from the terrace.

This jungle is my potager which is still bursting with things to gather, so I'm a bit busy getting things in and stored before the frost comes. The bottom of the garden is protected by trees and a hedge and feels warmer that up at the house. The weather's still glorious and in this photo taken a few day ago it looks like high summer.

A chicken walks on the path

The borage is still seeding and growing and almost each rose is producing one or two spectacular flowers.

We've still got green peppers and chillis to get in, peas and beans and the celery I grew in the tent frame is really lovely and there's lots of it. We had some tonight with a rabbit Fabrice shot - the second of the season. We still have courgettes and I grew lots of parsley this year, mostly the tasty Italian kind and it's self-seeding everywhere.

I planted pumpkins for the pigs very late in the season after the potatoes and onions and they're producing big healthy looking pumpkins which I have to keep training to go the way I want them to otherwise they send their roots down into the paths.


This is a lovely time of the year and it is nice to just wander around looking and soaking in the atmosphere and richness and look at some of the things we've done. We've got loads of plans and projects on the go and thankfully, we've a lot more energy than we had last year, so it feels as though we'll make a bit of progress again.

The wood's chopped and under cover near the house and the more delicate plants are being moved nearer and nearer to the back of the house where it's warm and protected. The indoor plants are back indoors and seem to appreciate the comfort. Food's stored and the freezer is filling up again with game and we light the fire most evenings - which is really nice.

9 comments:

detroit dog said...

Wonderful photos, as always. The colors here are turning, too, and the Maples look beautiful. I'm still harvesting some peppers and vine beans.

It's a very vibrant time of year, yes?

Kristi said...

Your site is so inspirational. I've had so much fun viewing your past posts and can't wait for your future ones. I am working on my own potager here in Louisiana. It is coming along so well. My hopes is that it will look somewhat like yours eventually!

Kristi

Thessa said...

Indeed! Such beautiful colours.

And those luxurious pumpkins... I'm never able to grow pumpkins like that. Do you have any secret tip you want to share?...

Mouse said...

If there's one thing I really miss about my house in France is my beloved wood stove. I waited all my life for a stove and enjoyed it for 18 months and now we are parted and I have to make do with soul-less fan heaters and the dogs for warmth. Such is life back on the Rat Race.

Katie said...

These photos are amazing! Too bad autumn was short lived here. :(

Anonymous said...

come join us my friend, the forum of the permaculture and plant exploring crowd...many of your blogging friends are there

http://alanbishop.proboards60.com/index.cgi

Anonymous said...

I have a small garden in southern Brazil, great country to live in, we moved here about 2 years ago. we just love the warm weather and the people are amazing. we will never go back to the USA.

Layla said...

Lovely photos!! It looks amazing!! :))

I've always dreamed of a house with permaculture and such lovely greens!! (in or outside France.. :))

Jo said...

Wow, you have a lovely garden. It is very inspirational, I can't wait until I have more land to have a veggie garden as productive as yours!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...