12 April 2009

First Morels (Morilles) 2009

Morels are really delicious mushrooms and we found our first dozen or so this week. If you're not sure about identifying them, then this site will give you some more information on the potentially dangerous False Morels which don't look at all like Morels when you cut them open.

As always you must be very careful about gathering and eating any mushrooms if you're not absolutely sure exactly what they are.

While we're looking for Morels we also look out for a few Wild leeks or Ail des Bois Allium tricoccum which - with perfect timing - arrive just as our own onions run out.

We had a nice little piece of Deer (Cerf) in the freezer so Fabrice made a lovely main dish fit to honour any hunter gatherer's table :

Entrecôte de Cerf aux Morilles et Pommes de terres
.

4 comments:

Eco Gites of Lenault said...

Mushroom foraging is on my to do list for the year - but like you say, you really need to be sure what you are eating.

Rosie x

Anonymous said...

fresh morels on your property! now i have morels envy! joyce

detroit dog said...

Hi Irene,

I think there is some kind of a "bug" with your blog. Your feed on my page says that you have a post titled "Interesting blog" and giving the address of another blog. When I click on the post title, it takes me to the blogger page saying that your blog no longer exists! But if I click on your blog name, then your blog does come up.

Maybe a Google Blogspot problem?

--Veronica

La Ferme de Sourrou said...

Ah, Morels are nice!

Veronica,

Thanks for telling me that !

It might be that you caught me when I posted something by mistake. I was preparing a text and it wasn't finished, I hit the wrong button, then deleted the post.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...