18 August 2009

The best conditions for Stevia cuttings

Stevia cuttings rooted in waterI've been experimenting with Stevia cuttings, using different mediums, taking them at different times of the year and at different phases of the moon. I must have taken over 100 cuttings over the past couple of years and the very best results I've ever had have been in rainwater, in shade, outside, in August and September.

After taking the cutting of about 12cms (4 or 5 inches) remove the bottom leaves for drying then put them immediately into water. Mist them from time to time.

This is a photo of one of the seven of my latest batch of twelve cuttings which produced roots after only 14 days in water. The photo was taken on the day of the full moon on the 6th of August. The plant is now growing well in a pot and was last seen hitching a ride to the north of France...

6 comments:

Ian and Luis said...

I would be interested in knowing how you use Stevia - have thought about cultivating some but cannot source it here at the moment. How do you process it?

lyrebird said...

thanks for this post. i'm trying to strike cuttings for other plants at the moment - in sandy soil with rooting powder on the tip, covered with glass. limited success. it's spring here is sydney, so i hope i'm timing it right. i guess it's all trial and error! any tips would be much appreciated as you are obviously an expert.
cheers,
kate

La Ferme de Sourrou said...

I'm not an expert Kate - I only got my first Stevia plants last year !

I like experimenting and I keep a record of what does and doesn't work and it's nice to pass the info on to other people.

I'll send you some rooted cuttings if you like Ian and Luis, they should get through OK I've sent them to Spain before.

I'll do a quick post on drying Stevia...

How To Build Solar Panels said...

Hi,

Feel free to visit my blog to read further info:

How To Build Solar Panels

Yours,

Ted Bayers

How To Build Solar Panels said...

Hi,

Feel free to visit my blog to read further info:

How To Build Solar Panels

Yours,

Ted Bayers

Ian and Luis said...

Thanks for the offer - I will message you with my address on Downsizer. - whenever it is convenient to you - many thanks

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...