5 April 2010

The self-seeded lettuce is ready to eat and the no-dig seed bed is ready to plant !


Our neighbour Robert gave me these lettuces and told me to let some self seed and I'd have early lettuce. The commercial winter varieties I planted just haven't grown at all but these ones been through frost, snow, hailstones and torrential rain and they've come up smiling and taste wonderful!

Alongside them is some Italian Parsley which is coming on well, and there was Coriander but it's disappeared after a morning frost on Saturday. Behind, is my replacement patch of wild strawberries which has always grown there and I use it to re-plant where I think the strawberries will grow well or just to give away to friends.

Next to that bed is another cage that Fabrice put up for me yesterday. I normally just cover newly planted seeds with wire tents to protect them from the chickens but this little area was just asking to be cordoned off so he's driven four or five posts in and put a chicken wire round and made me a little gate.

The ground in this little spot was used for pumpkins last year and was really well mulched - once when the pumpkins were planted and again just before the winter really started. The mulch has rotted down and the resulting earth is just beautiful, dark and crumbly and totally weed free thanks to the chickens.

I can't wait to finish off the top of the new cage and start sowing seeds in that patch of earth but after our terrible experience of foot rot which spread through our flock of sheep and goats like wildfire I've had a very bad back.

After a visit to a chiropractor who seems to have cracked me all back into place, I have been ordered to do nothing for a while - which is very easy at the moment because I can hardly move ! I should be very careful over the next week or so as my back heals, so I'll have time to devote to this rather neglected blog.

5 comments:

Mouse said...

I'm sorry to hear about your pain, bad backs are so debilitating as I discovered several years ago after slipping a disk while attempting to lift more than my own weight in oak furniture, but if it gives us more inspiring blog posts...

La Ferme de Sourrou said...

Hah !

Lifting furniture is the worst thing ever - it's amazing that despite our considerable intelligence we still consider ourselves able to defy the laws of physics !!

I know my blog has been a bit lacklustre recently but we have been so busy and the weather has been terrible giving us an awful lot more to do...excuses....excuses....

Mouse said...

Not at all lack lustre, I've been delving into past pictures and admiring all that you do!

(btw I failed physics)

su said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
C.L. Dyck said...

Bonjour!

I found my way here from Hedgerow Ways and Fireside Days (Jackie). I'm Cat in Canada. Just a question about the chickens -- I've always thought it would be handy to let them weed the garden, but wondered about balancing their weed eating with the potential for plant eating.

How big are your garden plants when you let the chickens in there? How long do you let the chickens range in the garden?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...