12 December 2010

We've got too many chickens !


That's the spirit !, originally uploaded by hardworkinghippy

This boy got beaten up by a band of roaming youngsters that I call the red bunch and as he was walking away with his head down I started taking photographs of him and he suddenly perked up and strode along proudly as though to show me that he was non the worse for his humiliation.

The culprits were a large group of young red cockerels who are now at sexual maturity and are a pain in the whotsit - not just because they're fighting with all the other young cocks but also they've started to gang up on the girls and the poor things have to walk the gauntlet before being allowed into the chicken shed to roost for the night.

Anyone who has kept chickens will know what I mean - I almost feel like throwing something at them when they start their antics and the girls are becoming nervous and scatty and if this goes on any longer they'll go off the lay, their backs will lose their feathers and some of them may be tempted to sleep outside and risk an encounter with Mr Fox.

It's been a real joy all summer to see this year's chicks grow up. A high proportion of them are bright orange with a few blacks and a couple of pure whites. The garden has been brought alive by the flashing past of dozens of orange chicks running when they hear the feeder being filled up. But I counted the chickens this morning and there are fifty and an awful lot of them are young males. I'll try to find homes for the best cockerels - normally my neighbours are interested if they need to change their stock - but sadly, it's not worth feeding them all winter and the time has come to cull them and get them into the freezer.

14 comments:

detroit dog said...

As always, I love your posts and your photos.

La Ferme de Sourrou said...

Thanks !

Now that the knitting for Christmas is almost coming to an end I should have a bit more time to do more photos and writing. I haven't visited your blog for ages - but I will soon.

Have a lovely time during the holidays.

Irene x

Esther Montgomery said...

So many human parallels.

Such wonderful photos.

Esther

Diane said...

I never knew how I would find the strength to kill a chicken until our roosters started being big enough to bully the hens (and our pets). I won't say I enjoyed the experience, but their mob mentality certainly helped me accept that it was time.

Anonymous said...

You are back posting, what a joy!!!

Best regards,

Lotte

rhonda jean said...

Yes, it makes it easier to cull them when they're being obnoxious. I love their colours. You always take lovely photos.

Alison said...

When my 4 hens scratch up all my plants I often think of you saying that you have about 50 roaming around your place. I didn't know how you managed to grow anything! Now I know :-)

Angie Moore said...

Yes I know how you feel - our hens hatched 42 chicks this year - I didn't use the incubator at all and now we are eating a lot of chicken!!! Nothing beats a home grown Coq au Vin :-)

Dawn said...

I've been struggling with this very issue. I'd love to keep chickens myself, for the fresh eggs and organic meat, but could I ever actually "process" them? The stronger possibility is that I'd I end up overrun with expensive poultry pets. Your post provides a fresh perspective.

Btw, am I the only one waiting for the La Ferme de Sourrou cookbook? Your canning section was FANTASTIC.

Ohiofarmgirl said...

Great work with the young roo's... when our hens have had enough of the youngsters we have Rooster Day. once calm has been restored to the barnyard - and the roos have gone to The Pot - we know we've done the right thing.

jack said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Dick said...

Try sticking small hen-houses, 4 -6 birds big, on 6 foot-poles, with a thin twiggy branch for access. And eat/process/sell the excess cocks.

professional diagnositic tools said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
obd2s online store said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...